WELCOME

Hi all,



This is my blog, purpose is to update all my friends and family on how I am and what myself, the family and our friends have planned for the time I have left.



I will include updates on my treatments, how I am feeling and what we are planning as a family. I do have a lot planned so don't expect daily updates, hopefully this will give you some general information but I am happy to answer questions and all suggestions are welcome.



Toni















Thursday 20 May 2010

20th May - New Hair Day

Hi all,

Well big day yesterday (sorry if I am confusing you but saved last post instead of posting it so bit out of date).

Yesterday I went to the wig shop which was finally open and had someone in it...yippee...(Barbara the owner was on holiday and got stuck so this is the forth time we have been)

So I sat there with my mum (love her but she is not the best at these things) and tried on lots of different wigs.  Having got used to my bald head (quite like it now) putting a wig on was odd.  For those of you who have worn wigs before and I have (lots of fancy dress) you will know that initially it feels very odd, and whilst time and alcohol helps you to get used, it does take a bit of getting used to.

Choosing was difficult, Katie had told everyone who visited that "mummy is going to get yellow hair so she looks like me" but I didn't really think I could carry off the blond look so I naturally gravitated to what my hair used to look like.  That said my definition of long straight hair didn't seem to match hers so I tried on a selection before narrowing it down to 3.  Shortlisted was 1) a cropped bob 2) a mid length flicky cut and 3) long and straight.

The long and straight was obviously the most expensive and what I had asked for but it being a hot day just felt a bit heavy so after much deliberation I decided on short.  Decision made I then had the option of heading out with my new hair on my head or in a box.  Now this should be a simple decision but having not had hair for a while I wasn't really sure and suddenly felt very self conscious.  But "Sod it" prevailed and I headed out in pubilc in my wig.

Now I know lots of people wear wigs, some noticable, some not, but being honest I have previously been one of those people who plays "spot the wig" and snigger to whom ever I am with.  In fact when I was having treatment at clatterbridge I did this quite a lot, even when I had no hair myself.  ~I think I was just trying to work out how noticable wigs were.  So with this in mind I did feel very odd walking through town in my new hair.  I couldn't help glimpsing in every shop window and looking at my reflection to check it was still on straight. 

Luckily this habit did take my mind off my hair, but not my self consciousness.  I don't know if it is because we do not have a full length mirror at home of because the short hair drew attention but Jesus my boobs looked huge.  Now I know I am quite big up top and have put on a stone in weight but christ I couldn't stop looking and not in a good way.  I spent all the walk to the car thinking "yes" time to quit the chocolate.  Oh the joys of being a women....

Well that was yesterday and today I ventured out in public with my new hair to the school when we picked the kids up.  Luckily my own kids had seen and accepted the new hair so I didn't have any pointy fingers but I did get some funny looks from the parents.  The good ones, who know, did the "wow" you look great thing but the others just did that double take, can't help staring, stop looking, just another quick peek, stop looking thing before scurrying off with their pushchairs.

I am just about getting used to the itchy feeling of wearing a wig (yes more itching) but still not sure on the whole thing, as I said I like my baldy head, but we will see what the next couple of days bring.  so watch this space.


As a final note I would like to mention Sarah Warner (nee McBride) I am sorry to your news and hope you recover quickly, if there is anything I can do please say, in the mean time love and best wishes to you and your family.

Toni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Sargent Lockhart Family

Sargent Lockhart Family

Naylor Perkin Family

Naylor Perkin Family